In many cases, primary care and hormone therapy visits can be conducted using a computer for a video visit. This process involves using secure Zoom videoconferencing technology (similar to "Skype" or "Facetime"), and allows you to have a provider visit in the privacy of your own home or location of choice. Video visits allow you to avoid the time and expense associated with traveling to San Francisco. Most insurance plans are required by California law to cover these visits as they would for an in-person visit.
- Computer or device with a webcam
- Reliable high speed internet access
- A quiet and private place where you can sit down and concentrate on the visit. You must not be in a moving vehicle.
- Basic computer literacy
- Must be located in California (also Oregon for Dr. Deutsch, or North Carolina for Dr. Nguyen) at the time of the telemedicine encounter, unless you are a permanent resident of one of these states who is traveling out of state for vacation, work, or school.
- Due to recent regulatory changes regarding controlled substance prescribing, testosterone prescriptions can only be sent to a pharmacy located in a state where the prescriber is licensed. Patients with questions about this policy should discuss them with their provider.
Learn more about UCSF's Video Visits.