Legal Info and Name/Gender Changes

Changing your legal documents to reflect your identity:

Changing your name only requires a court order. No physician letter is needed.

Changing your legal gender on your passport, social security card, and California birth certificate requires a physician letter.

Changing your gender marker on your California state ID or driver license requires a special form to be filled out by a physician or psychologist.

Click here for more information on changing your legal documents.

Additional resources

Workplace Gender Identity and Transition Guidelines
Published by Out & Equal Workplace Advocates

Transgender Law Center